Feel Like You’re Home for the Holidays
The holidays are often a time of togetherness, and the idea of being “home for the holidays” is so entrenched in our culture that it’s even found in popular holiday songs and movies.
Unfortunately, there are times when being in our own homes or home with family isn’t possible for one reason or another – Maybe your job will require you to be out of town or maybe you have to relocate before the end of the year. Whatever the reason, being away from home during the holiday season can be difficult for anyone.
If you’re expecting a bit of an extended stay in our furnished apartments in Texas, away from home this year, there are some quick and easy things you can do to make the whole experience a little more familiar, comfortable, and memorable.
Make Your Holiday Away a Little Homier
No one wants to spend the holidays away from home, but if you find yourself in a situation where it just can’t be helped, try a few of these tips to make your long-term stay feel a little more like home.
- Bring things from home – If you’re going to stay for a while here in Texas, make sure you bring a few trinkets and items that really remind you of home. These simple treasures can really turn a basic apartment into something much more inviting.
- Decorate for the holidays – This doesn’t have to be big, but a few little items here and there can really help you enjoy the holiday season a little more. You don’t have to bring a lot of decorations with you, since that will just make packing more difficult. Instead, pick up a few items while you’re here that are either disposable or transferable when you head back home and stick to bringing just the most memorable and special decorations along with you.
- Make a meal – A fully furnished extended-stay apartment with Residology will have a fully stocked kitchen, including bakeware & cookware. And nothing makes a place feel more like home than the smells of home cooking. So, rather than relying on the local fast-food establishments, take the time to cook a few of your favorite holiday dishes in your apartment. This will make the entire holiday season feel less transitory and more homey.
- A gift to yourself – Let’s face it, when many of us think about the holidays, we can’t help but picture all the gifts that are given and received. For some, this is a source of stress and anxiety, while for others it creates no end of anticipation. Either way, there’s something to be said for seeing gifts addressed to you around this time. So, go ahead and treat yourself. Even if you have some gifts waiting for you back home, give yourself something nice while you’re away. You probably deserve it.
- Get to know the area – If you just spend all your time in your apartment, you’re probably going to feel a little isolated. While that might be great for a little self-introspection, it can make the holidays seem a little lonelier. So, instead, get to know some of the great attractions in the area, find out if there are any holiday events going on, or just explore some of the local neighborhoods and enjoy the holiday decorations.
If there’s one thing this crazy year has taught us, it’s how to find a little togetherness through digital methods.
This is not the time for texts and emails, though. We’re talking about right and proper video chatting so you can see and hear your loved ones on a regular basis.
Still, even that can feel a little cold and impersonal, so here’s a few tips to help stay connected digitally.
- Set a day and time that you will connect and stick to that schedule no matter what.
- Don’t just talk. There are plenty of great online games out there that you can play together. This way you’re actively participating in something rather than just hoping to find something new to talk about.
- Don’t rely on group chats to talk to as many people as you can. Instead, find some time to speak one-on-one with as many as you can. This way, no one feels left out. Everyone can have a chance to speak up and talk about personal things.
- Don’t do anything else while you’re on a chat. No browsing the internet while someone else is talking. No playing games on your phone. Be dedicated to the time you have together.
A Memorable Holiday Season
How do you want to remember the holidays this year?
If you find yourself on an extended stay away from your home and your family, it can be easy to feel lonely.
It doesn’t have to be that way, though.
With a little effort, some planning, and a determination to be an active participant in the holidays – one way or another – you can make any place feel a little more like home.